One-punch killer jailed after leaving victim for dead on Sheffield city centre street

Liam Morris - South Yorkshire Police
Liam Morris - South Yorkshire Police
Have your say

A thoughtless one-punch killer who left his victim bloodied and unconscious on a Sheffield street has been jailed for manslaughter.

Liam Morris, 21, of no fixed abode, was with three friends on West One, Devonshire Street, when he was approached by Daniel Brelsford.

After attempting to walk away with an item that Mr Brelsford had tried to sell him, Morris turned and punched his victim in the head.

CCTV footage from the scene on August 31, 2016, showed Morris punch Mr Brelsford, causing him to fall back and hit his head, knocking him unconscious.

Morris and his three friends then left Mr Brelsford unconscious on the floor, and with blood on his head and arms.

After regaining consciousness, the victim made his way towards Devonshire Green where a member of the public called an ambulance after he was seen laid unmoving.

Mr Breslford was taken to hospital to receive treatment however he sadly died five days later on September 5, 2016, from the injuries he had sustained.

Morris and the three other men were identified and questioned by police in relation to the assault.

After speaking to witnesses and reviewing CCTV, Morris was arrested and charged with manslaughter.

Morris pleaded not guilty in connection with Mr Brelsford's death at a hearing in September 2016 and was found guilty of manslaughter by a jury at Sheffield Crown Court on Wednesday, May 24.

DI John Fitzgibbons who led the investigation said: “Liam Morris hit Daniel Breslford before walking away and leaving him with serious injuries.

"He had no regard for the harm he had caused to Mr Brelsford, leaving him laid unconscious and vulnerable without a second thought to the detrimental harm he had caused.

“Although I am pleased with the result we have achieved today, this verdict offers little solace to Daniel’s family who have had to come to terms with what has happened.

“I can only imagine what his family have been through and I just hope the justice achieved today, will enable Daniel’s family to begin grieving their loss and move forwards knowing Liam Morris is now being punished for his actions.”

Morris was today sentenced to six years in prison with a further three years on extended licence.