OAP’s lucky escape from house blaze

Share this article
Have your say

A BARNSLEY pensioner had a lucky escape when a newly-fitted smoke alarm alerted him to a blaze in his home.

The man, who is in his 80s, fell asleep in his house on Bridge Gardens after putting his chip pan on for a late night snack.

He was awoken by a smoke alarm which had only recently been installed free by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, as part of its community safety work.

The OAP managed to get himself out of his home and raise the alarm.

He was taken to Barnsley District General Hospital suffering from slight smoke inhalation.

A Fire Service spokesman said: “Chip pans are deadly and were it not for the smoke alarms we fitted, this man could easily have died.

“You wouldn’t fill a container with flammable liquid and light a flame under it, yet using a chip pan poses the same kind of danger.

“Oven chips or thermostat-controlled fryers are much safer, meaning there is no need whatsoever for people to continue putting their lives at risk in this way.”