NOT GUILTY: Ched Evans rape trial - what we know:

Ched Evans has been found not guilty of rape.

Friday, 14th October 2016, 3:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 8:09 pm
Ched Evans with partner Natasha Massey

Here is a timeline of events running up to today's decision:

May 30, 2011 - Date of the alleged rape of a 19-year-old woman in a Premier Inn room near Rhyll, North Wales.

Ched Evans and friends were on a night out when the woman he was accused of raping went to to the hotel with footballer Clayton McDonald, who sent a text to Evans saying 'I've got a bird'.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Evans arrived at the hotel while the pair were having sex, and also had sex with the woman.

He left the hotel afterwards via a fire exit door.

May 30, 2011 - The alleged victim woke up naked in hotel room and was unable to remember the night before. She went to her local police station suspecting that her drink had been spiked.

She said she 'panicked' when she woke up in the room

She said: "I was just dead confused about how I got there. I didn’t know how I’d got there or who I’d gone with. I was really shaken up by it.”


May 30, 2011 - Evans and Clayton McDonald were both interviewed by the police.

The £92 room where the rape occurred had been booked in Mr McDonald's name, using Evans' bank card.

They both admitted having sex with the woman but said it was consensual.

April 20, 2012 - Evans sentenced to five years behind bars after being found guilty of rape after his first trial.

May 30, 2012 - Evans released by Sheffield United following his conviction.

April 27, 2013 - A website set up by supporters of Evans offered a £50,000 reward for information that would lead to his acquittal when he challenged the conviction in the Court of Appeal.

October 17, 2014 - Evans released from Wymott Prison, near Leyland in Lancashire, after serving half of his prison sentence.

April 21, 2016 - Evans' conviction is quashed.

July 1, 2016 - Evans starts training with Chesterfield FC after signing a one-year deal.

October 4, 2016 - Evans' retrial begins

October 14, 2016 - Evans found not guilty at Cardiff Crown Court.