Non-League Football: Stocksbridge boss is a frustrated man as Dunne proves to be Sheffield FC's supersub again

Stocksbridge Park Steels' barren run continued  with a 2-0 home defeat against Belper Town  that left Steels with just one point to show from four Evo-Stik East Division games.

Sunday, 7th October 2018, 6:58 pm
Updated Sunday, 7th October 2018, 7:08 pm
Belper escape as Brodie Litchfield goes close for Stocksbridge. GILLIAN HANDISIDES

Sheffield FC kept their first clean sheet of the season in a 1-0 away win at Carlton Town, while Frickley Athletic ended a run of four defeats on the spin in all competitions beating Spalding United 2-1 at home.

Steels had enough chances to get at least a point from the game and boss Chris Hilton was a frustrated man. 'We've got to stick our chances away,' he said, 'We had some really good chances but we've tried to tap them in instead of putting our foot through the ball.'

Stocksbridge had a great chance to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty for handball in the 23rd minute. When Scott Ruthven and Rory Coleman had sorted out who was going to take it, Coleman put the ball down and although he struck the kick firmly enough, it was too close to the keeper who got down to his left to push the ball away.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It proved a costly miss when Belper edged in front on 34 minutes. Jordan Amissah didn't get enough distance on his punch and when it dropped to Rikki Paylor just inside the box he hooked a shot home.

Brodie Litchfeld saw his free-kick well saved at the near post before Steels should had equalised four minutes before the interval; Litchfield's low cross finding Alex Wiles just a few yards out but he weakly side-foot straight at the keeper.

Belper doubled their advantage on 69 minutes with a somewhat fortuitous goal. Craig Nelthorpe out near the right touch line swung over a free-kick that evaded everyone dropping directly into the back of the Steels net.

Ruthven wasn't far away with a 25-yard effort as the Belper defence backed off . Substitute Lewis Whitham had the chance to get one back but didn't put enough power behind his close range effort allowing the '˜keeper to save, who then denied Litchfield from point blank range as another chance went begging.

Mitchell Dunne is becoming Sheffield FC's super-sub after coming off the bench again to score the only goal of the game at Carlton Town midway through second half.

In a quiet first half Club's best chance fell to Waide Fairhurst who headed over from a James Gregory cross.

Carlton had a great chance early in the second half with a close range header that thankfully lacked power allowing Juan Cortes to clear . Dunne was summoned from the bench to replace Fairhurst and soon made his mark on 68 minutes to steer home a cross.

Marc Newsham went close to doubling the lead with a diving header that flew just over the crossbar from Gregory's cross, but in the end the one goal proved sufficient to earn Club a first win in three.

Frickley Athletic left it late against Spalding Town. Trailing to a Luke White effort on 61 minutes, Lewis Szanto came off the bench to score twice inside the last eight minutes to turn the game on its head.

Two second half goals saw Hallam climb to eighth in the Toolstation NCEL Division One, with a 2-0 win over second-placed Nostell MW at Sandygate Road.

The in-form Countrymen have now won the last six on the spin in league and cup but they were made to work hard for the victory over one of the pre-season promotion favourites. Nostell had the better of the first half hitting the crossbar and forcing Archie Sneath into a couple of smart saves.

Hallam though came out on the front foot in the second half and took the lead on 66 minutes with Tom Roebuck scoring with a well placed downward header at a corner.

Eight minutes later it was 2-0 when Sam Smith beat the on rushing '˜keeper to a John Brelsford free-kick.. It was a lead Hallam never looked like losing and indeed they twice came close to adding to the scoreline with Keiran Watson and substitute Callum Littlejohn denied by the Nostell keeper.

'It was a great win for us against a good Nostell side,' said Hallam joint boss Steve Whitehead. 'I thought we were good value for the win, The lads were fantastic and it's another step in the right direction.'

Penistone Church are up to second in the Premier Division after coming from behind to win 5-2 at lowly Goole AFC, their fifth league victory in the last six .

The hosts had grabbed a third minute lead but Kieran Ryan levelled it up midway through the first half. The turning point came just before the break when two goals in as many minutes from Ryan Johnson and Jordan Coduri had Penistone leading 3-1.

Goole got one back from the penalty spot early in the second half but Johnson's second quickly restored the two goal cushion with Coduri grabbing the fifth three minutes from time.

'Goole is always a difficult place to come and get a result,' said boss Ian Richards.

'I wasn't 100 percent happy with our performance across the 90 minutes but we've still scored five times away from home. And if you do that you're going to win football matches.'

It was a disappointing day for Handsworth Parramore as they slipped to eighth following a 2-0 home reversal against Bridlington Town. Manager Jas Colliver had no complaints over the result. 'We lost the battle and got what we deserved,' he said. 'What disappoints me is we lacked character and leaders. The lads looked like they accepted defeat once they went one up.'

Worksop Town grabbed a last gasp equaliser to earn a point in a 3-3 draw at Knaresborough Town, Matt Sykes hitting his second deep into stoppage time.

Maltby Main had to settle for a point from a 1-1 draw against Garforth Town at Muglet Lane. The visitors had taken the lead on 53 minutes through a contentious penalty awarded for handball. The Miners though were back level eight minutes later when Jon Hill nodded in a corner at the back post.

Staveley MW took their unbeaten league run to five games, twice coming from behind to draw 2-2 against Liversedge at Inkersall Riad with goals from Joe Pugh and Jahmal Riley.

Parkgate came from a goal down to beat Shirebrook Town 2-1 away for a first league victory of the season, although it was enough to lift them out of Division One's bottom two.

Dronfield Town suffered their first defeat in 10 matches losing 1-0 at home against Glasshoughton Welfare, while bottom of the table FC Bolsover were beaten 4-0 at AFC Emley where Ben Burnett grabbed a hat-trick added to an late effort from Dan Stocker.

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic were well beaten 5-1 at home by Grimsby Borough where Owen Cooke grabbed a late consolation for the home side.

Harworth Colliery were narrowly beaten 2-1 at home by leaders Winterton Rangers after Adam Coulton fired the hosts into a seventh minute lead..

Lee Holmes' stoppage time penalty rescued a point for Rossington Main in a 2-2 home draw by lowly Skegness Town who had twice led. Ten-man Swallownest suffered a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of neighbours Armthorpe Welfare.

Fixtures, Tuesday: Sheffield Senior Cup Second Round: Denaby Utd v Rossington Main, Frecheville v Stocksbridge PS, Sheffield FC v Worksop Town.

Wednesday, Sheffield Senior Cup Second Round: AFC Bentley v Penistone Church, Athersley Rec v South Kirkby Colliery, Dodworth MW v Nostell MW, Parkgate v Worsbrough BA.

Toolstation NCEL, Division One: Armthorpe Welfare v Shirebrook Town, Winterton Rangers v Hallam.