Non-League Football: Shaw-ly not! Barnsley side make it to first round of FA Cup

Damian Reeves scored a late winner to send Shaw Lane into the first round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time in the club's history, after a 2-1 win over Vanarama National League side Barrow AFC.

Sunday, 15th October 2017, 7:38 pm
Updated Monday, 11th December 2017, 9:34 pm
Damian Reeves scoring against Barnsley in 2015

Reeves is no stranger to scoring cup giantkilling goals, having hit the only goal for Altrincham Town in a first round tie that dumped Barnsley out of the Cup in 2015.

Reeves struck with 15 minutes remaining, a smart turn and powerful shot inside the box sending the home fans into raptures at Sheerian Park.

The Ducks had taken a ninth minute lead when Spencer Harris headed in from a free-kick out wide.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Barrow equalised two minutes into the second half through a Byron Harrison penalty.

However, Shaw Lane were not to be denied as Reeves had the final say to put Craig Elliott’s side into the hat for tomorrow first round draw.

The visitors finished the tie with ten-men after Jimmy Dunne was sent-off in the final minute for a poor challenge on substitute Osebi Abadaki.

Elsewhere, Stocksbridge Park Steels let two points slip away after a poor performance saw them draw 1-1 with bottom of the table Gresley FC atBracken Moor.

Stocksbridge had Gresley on the back foot in the opening exchanges and no surprise when the hosts went in front on 19 minutes.

Joe Lumsden got in on the left side after great build up play from Steels and although the ‘keeper came out to make a fine block, the ball broke to Brodie Litchfield to steer a shot into the bottom corner.

Stocksbridge would had been expected to go on and roll the visitors over but what followed was a complete transformation of what had gone before in the first 20 minutes.

Suddenly the home side stopped moving the ball around quickly, instead always wanting that extra touch as the flowing football and passing became laboured.

The equaliser arrived on 71 minutes and it was no more than the visitors deserved.

Matt Reay conceded an unnecessary penalty. And although brother David saved Ryan Robbins’ first effort, the spot-kick was retaken after the assistant referee signalled the ‘keeper had moved forward off his line. This time Robbins made no mistake.

Stocksbridge huffed and puffed late on but in truth never looked like breaching a well organised Gresley rearguard that was determined to hang on to their point.

Ten-man Sheffield FC slipped to a first league defeat under Mark Shaw, going down 3-0 at Spalding United to leave them still looking for their first away league win of the season.

Club found themselves down to ten-men midway through the half with Grant Ryan sent off for violent conduct.

Frickley Athletic came from 2-0 down at Loughborough Dynamo to draw 2-2, while Matlock Town came from behind to win 2-1 at Marine. Tyrell Waite cancelled out the hosts’ early opener on 31 minutes with Adam Yates hitting the winner from ten yards 16 minutes from time.

Fixtures, Tuesday: League Cup First Round: Frickley Athletic v Stocksbridge Park Steels, Shaw Lane v Cleethorpes Town.