News In Brief: Man slept while grill burned

Share this article
Have your say

A MAN’S kitchen was fire damaged when he fell asleep with a grill pan switched on at home in Broomhall Place, Broomhall, Sheffield,

The man, in his 40s, was alerted when a neighbour raised the alarm, and three crews from Sheffield’s Central and Rivelin stations went to the scene at 11.50pm on Sunday.

He didn’t need hospital treatment and firefighters left at around 1am.

Arsonists strike

ARSONISTS set fire to a garage behind The Pheasant pub at Sheffield Lane Top.

The burning garage, used to store old furniture, was put out by fire crews from Darnall and Elm Lane stations last Thursday at 9.40pm.

Arsonists also set fire to rubbish on Eastfield Place, Rawmarsh, Rotherham, at 10.10pm on the same night.

Vehicles seized

TWO vehicles were seized by police during roadside checks.

A car and a van were impounded by officers for having no insurance during the operation at Portland Road in Shirebrook near Chesterfield.

The owners now face a fine and points on their licence. Eleven cars were also dealt with for issues including one vehicle stopped for having no tread on two of its tyres.

Drugs raid warning

A WOMAN aged 23 has been given a warning for possession of a Class B drug after a police raid.

Officers discovered a small quantity of cannabis, along with a number of pills which have been seized for testing, after executing a warrant at an address in Broom Avenue, Pilsley.

The raid followed information and concerns from the local community about drug misuse.

Wheelie bin blaze

ARSONISTS set fire to a wheelie bin on Laudsdale Road, East Herringthorpe, Rotherham, at just before 1.40am on Monday. A crew from Rotherham station was called to the scene to put out the flames.

Stove started fire

FIREFIGHTERS put out a blaze in a chimney from a log-burning stove on Braithwell Road, Ravensfield, Rotherham last Thursday. Crews used an aerial ladder to put out the flames from above.