News In Brief: Car hit boy airlifted to Sheffield

News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
Have your say

A YOUNG boy was airlifted to a Sheffield hospital after being hit by a car.

The child was hurt during a collision on The Green in Hasland, Chesterfield, at around 2pm on Saturday.

He is believed to have been crossing the road from a nearby park when the accident happened.

An air ambulance helicopter landed in the park and took the boy to Sheffield Children’s Hospital. His condition is not thought to be life-threatening.

Tealights start fire

A TELEVISION caught fire and melted after tealights placed on top started a blaze in a house near Sheffield.

Firefighters issued a warning to householders in the wake of the emergency on Norburn Drive, Killamarsh.

A man in his 60s suffered slightly from breathing in smoke.

Crew Manager Ian Thompson, from Mosborough station, said: “Two tealight candles had been placed on the TV and melted through the plastic, causing a fire.

“Fortunately the man suffered only slight smoke inhalation but this incident shows the danger of using candles.

“I’d urge people never to place them on top of televisions or close to things like curtains and drapes.”

The fire broke out at 11.38am last Thursday.

Car up in flames

ARSONISTS set a car alight on a Sheffield street in the early hours of yesterday morning. The Mazda Six was set on fire on Jermyn Avenue, Frecheville, at 3.45am, and was well alight when a crew from Mansfield Road arrived. Firefighters put out the blaze with a water jet.

Hedgerow burns

FIREFIGHTERS were called out to tackle a hedgerow which went up in flames.

The hedge on Sutton Lane, Arkwright Town, Chesterfield, caught fire at 8.45am on Friday. Firefighters used a water jet to douse the flames.

Shop caught out

A POLICE operation took place in Sheffield to catch shops selling alcohol to youths.

The test purchase operation was organised on Friday night by the South East Safer Neighbourhood Team.

In total, 10 premises were tested, with one store in Beighton selling alcohol to an underage volunteer.