A NEW walking and cycling path has been opened in South Yorkshire with the help of local primary school children.
The first phase of the Bolton-to-Goldthorpe route was officially launched by Dearne South Coun May Noble.
The 700-metre route on a disused railway embankment, will allow walkers and cyclists to go off-road safely between Carr Field Lane and Highgate Lane, Bolton-on-Dearne.
As part of the opening ceremony, kids from three primaries helped Barnsley Council countryside rangers plant trees and flowers in the verges at each end of the route.
The embankment was formerly part of a line connecting Manvers, Hickleton and Wath collieries. The last passenger train ran in 1929 but the track continued to be used by the National Coal Board. It carried its final train in the early 1980s.
Support for the project was provided by Natural England, the Environment Agency and RSPB.