Mum's smoke alarm pledge after children are rescued

A MUM today pledged to ensure smoke alarms were properly installed in her South Yorkshire home after her two children had to be given fire survival advice over the phone.

Tuesday, 11th September 2007, 8:17 am
Updated Tuesday, 11th September 2007, 8:46 am

Brett Markham, aged 14, and his sister Megan, nine, were shouting for help after they were trapped upstairs at the smoke-filled family home on Ferham Road, Masbrough, Rotherham.

But their pregnant aunt, who had been looking after them, was unable to reach the two frightened youngsters because of the smoke. Instead they were given step-by-step help by a call handler at South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service control room.

In the end the two youngsters were able to get out of the house as firefighters arrived to tackle the blaze, which is said to have started in the bedroom.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The youngster’s mum, Nicola Charlesworth, 32, said the house had been fitted with smoke alarms but for some reason they had been removed.

“It was my birthday and I was out celebrating,” said Nicola.

“They were all lucky to get out of the house. I am now making sure that the smoke alarms are in place.”