Mum to hear why her daughter died

News: The Star - bringing you news on-line 24-hours a day.
News: The Star - bringing you news on-line 24-hours a day.
Have your say

A MUM is finally expected to hear full details of how her seven-year-old daughter died after an asthma attack in Doncaster.

It is hoped the inquest later this year into Izabelle Easen’s death in 2008 will bring closure for her family, who believe she was badly treated by the Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust.

Izabelle’s mother Lorna Easen, aged 29, of Thorne, heard the news from her solicitor this week.

“I am pleased the inquest is going to be taking place,” she said.

“We didn’t know anything about it until the solicitor’s letter came.

“I hope things will become clearer when we have had the inquest. Until then there’s not much else I can say.”

One of the Yorkshire Ambulance Service paramedics was found guilty of misconduct for not making sufficient attempts to resuscitate the youngster.

No inquest was held into her death, but now the Doncaster Coroner, Nicola Mundy, has decided there should be one.

A preliminary hearing will be held in February when a date will be fixed for the full inquest later in 2012.

At the time of her daughter’s death, Mrs Easen blamed herself for not being able to perform emergency first aid during the severe asthma attack she suffered at home in April 2008.

But what she did not know at the time was that paramedic James McKenna declared her dead instead of continuing resuscitation and getting her to hospital for specialist treatment that may have saved her life.

Mr McKenna was later disciplined and struck off for misconduct after a hearing of the Health Professions Council.

Mrs Easen was not aware of the case against him until it was revealed last October. Ambulance chiefs have since apologised to her for causing more distress.

At the time Mrs Easen, a mother-of-four, described their actions as “morally wrong” and said they should have informed her and the police of what happened.