Mum helped medic try to save daughter’s life

Lylah Aaron, the three-year-old girl from Beck Road, Shiregreen, murdered in February 2013.
Lylah Aaron, the three-year-old girl from Beck Road, Shiregreen, murdered in February 2013.
Share this article
Have your say

The mum of a three-year-old Sheffield girl who died after being allegedly attacked helped try to save her life, a court heard.

Trainee nurse Precious Chibanda assisted paramedic Peter Hodgkins as he attempted to resuscitate Lylah Aaron at her home in Beck Road, Shiregreen.

Jurors at Sheffield Crown Court heard that Miss Chibanda had dialled 999 after finding Lylah unresponsive in bed.

It is alleged 21-year-old Delroy Catwell, Miss Chibanda’s boyfriend, attacked Lylah while her mother was at work, leaving the three-year-old with fatal brain damage.

Giving evidence for the prosecution, Mr Hodgkins said he arrived at Beck Road in a fast response vehicle to find Lylah lying on the living room floor.

He said: “There were two people there, the child’s mother and another male.

“Lylah was completely unresponsive.

“She was rigid, she was breathing very slowly, too slowly. I initially couldn’t feel a pulse.”

Mr Hodgkins said he thought Lylah was in cardiac arrest.

He said: “At the time she was very poorly, so I started medical intervention straight away.”

“I was carrying out chest compressions, initially with the help of Lylah’s mother, who was a nurse. We tried to resuscitate her.

“This all took place in the front room of the house.”

Asked about Miss Chibanda’s condition, Mr Hodgkins said: “She was very distressed, but she was able to give me a history of what had happened.

“She was able to help me, but she was still very upset and concerned.”

Asked about Catwell’s demeanour, Mr Hodgkins said: “I didn’t interview him. He was very quiet.”

Mr Hodgkins said that while on the way to the hospital, he noticed a bruise on the right side of Lylah’s body.

Catwell, of Beck Road, Shiregreen, denies murdering Lylah.

The trial continues.