MP backs campaign against silent killer

Clive Betts MP warns of deadly Carbon Monoxide risk.
Clive Betts MP warns of deadly Carbon Monoxide risk.
Share this article
Have your say

A SHEFFIELD MP has urged residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.

New research shows 69 per cent of households in the South Yorkshire region do not have an audible carbon monoxide alarm.

Clive Betts, MP for Sheffield South East, is backing the ‘Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed!’ campaign, which encourages people to install alarms and ensure they have all appliances regularly serviced.

Mr Betts said: “Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas you can’t see, smell or taste. Too many people are dying or suffering severely from carbon monoxide poisoning and we need to take action.

“I urge every Sheffield household to make sure they have an audible alarm and that they have their fuel-burning appliances serviced each year by a professional.”

Alarms cost around £20 from DIY stores or supermarkets.