Mountain rescue team helps injured boy, 12, after Peak District fall

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team
Buxton Mountain Rescue Team
Have your say

Mountain rescue team volunteers carried an injured child on a stretcher for two hours after he fell on an activity holiday in the Peak District.

They were warned that the 12-year-old boy had suffered suspected back injuries when he landed awkwardly in a fall in the upper reaches of Grindsbrook Gorge, Kinder Scout, on Tuesday.

Buxton and Edale mountain rescue team members in action

Buxton and Edale mountain rescue team members in action

The youngster, from Kent, was on an organised adventure holiday and was descending the gorge with a group of youngsters when he slipped on the rocks.

He fell about one metre but landed awkwardly in one of the most difficult locations from which to extract a casualty.

Buxton and Edale Mountain Rescue Teams were both alerted to the incident and worked together to help the young boy.

Neil Carruthers, from Buxton, said: “Rough gritstone boulders make stretcher handling a real challenge and the steep sides of the of the gorge make the area a radio communication blackspot.

Buxton and Edale mountain rescue team members in action

Buxton and Edale mountain rescue team members in action

“Team paramedics and first aiders examined the casualty and early indications presented a back injury. The weather was difficult at times with strong gusty winds and intermittent heavy rain on the plateau edge.

“Various casualty evacuation options were considered, the only realistic one was to evacuate by stretcher.

“Then began a two and a half kilometre carry along the Grindsbrook Clough track which took nearly two hours to arrive at Edale.

“The casualty was transferred to the waiting land ambulance and taken to hospital for further treatment.”

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team in action

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team in action

Later that day Buxton Mountain Rescue Team was called to help a woman from Buxton who had fallen at Hen Cloud, next to the Roaches Rocks, and broken her ankle.

She was then strapped into a rescue harness and lowered from the ledge to the ground.

Her friends in a local climbing club helped the rescue team deal with the incident.

On Monday, Buxton rescuers were called to Monsal Trail to help members of the Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance crew deal with a woman, from Norfolk, who suffered an open wrist fracture after falling from her mountain bike.

Aircraft paramedics treated her injuries before she was placed onto a mountain rescue stretcher and carried half a kilometre to a waiting helicopter, which flew her to Chesterfield Royal

Hospital for further treatment.