Mountain Rescue called to ‘five’ rescues as weekend surge in cases near Sheffield leads to busiest day ‘in recent times’

Mountain Rescue experts reported one of their busiest days ‘in recent times’ on Sunday - attending five call-outs in the hills near Sheffield.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

During two serious incidents the emergency rescuers lowered a fallen walker to paramedics and used 4X4 vehicles to evacuate a mountain biker found unconscious on a remote track, Edale Mountain Rescue has revealed.

Their manic day started with a 3.30am call-out to Kinder Scout plateau to locate two lost campers with the aid of a search dog however the team were beckoned again six hours later to aid a walker who fell on Winnats Pass.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Team member Colin Price told how the walker had a ‘nasty tumble’ on the steep slopes and was treated for arm and head injuries before being lowered down on a stretcher for hospital treatment.

EMRT stretcher a casualty to safetyEMRT stretcher a casualty to safety
EMRT stretcher a casualty to safety

However the stretched rescuers were sent out again after a crashed mountain biker was found unconscious on the Houndkirk track above the A6187 near Sheffield.

Using 4x4 vehicles they delivered the injured cyclist to waiting paramedics.

Read More
Five-year-old Buxton girl battling rare cancer receives over 700 birthday cards

Following the biker rescue EMRT were dispatched to Mam Tor’s Great Ridge - where they lowered yet another walker with a painful lower leg injury to the ambulance service.

EMRT reported one of its busiest days ‘in recent times’ - attending five callouts in one dayEMRT reported one of its busiest days ‘in recent times’ - attending five callouts in one day
EMRT reported one of its busiest days ‘in recent times’ - attending five callouts in one day
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The exhausted teams last job of the day was assisting a fallen climber below Stanage Edge.

Working alongside Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team they located the casualty, providing medical support before evacuating the climber and handing over to paramedics.

EMRT director Colin said: “This was not only one of our busiest days in recent times for Edale MRT but also for the wider Peak District Mountain Rescue Organisation - with a number of regional teams attending multiple concurrent incidents across the area.

“Mountain rescue volunteers had been attending incidents and away from their homes almost without a break from 3.30am until at least 6pm.”

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor

Related topics: