Missing mother found in dam

Sally Webster
Sally Webster
Share this article
Have your say

The body of a woman found in a city reservoir has been identified as a missing mum-of-two who vanished two months ago.

Sally Webster, aged 48, of Laird Avenue, Wadsley, disappeared on Saturday November 20 and police divers found her body during a search of Dam Flask Reservoir on Friday afternoon.

Lee Webster.

Lee Webster.

It was one of the places where the mum-of-two most liked to walk but the recent cold snap had frozen the water making it too dangerous for divers to enter until last week.

Her heartbroken husband Lee, 50, and their two daughters Lucy and Emily, were informed of the discovery on Friday and are now trying to come to terms with their loss.

“We are absolutely devastated,” said Lee.

“It was hell not knowing where Sally was but it is doubly bad now knowing she is not with us.”

Sally, who worked at the Within Reason interiors shop on Devonshire Street in Sheffield city centre, vanished while her husband was working on the roof of their house.

Today he paid tribute to his wife and described her as “lovely”.

“We will remember Sally as a beautiful person, a gentle person, and words can’t express how much we miss her,” he said.

“She was a gentle, lovely person - an unbelievably good mum who was dedicated and loving to her kids.

“We would like to thank everyone who has helped us find Sally and to South Yorkshire Police for their hard work and commitment.”

Police officers searched all of Sally’s favourite haunts during the time she was missing, including the Chatsworth estate and Endcliffe Park, but although she also liked the Dam Flask area, police divers were unable to enter the frozen water until it finally thawed last week.

Temporary Superintendent Andy Male, from Ecclesfield Police station, said: “Friday represented the first opportunity for police divers to enter Dam Flask Reservoir due to the extensive covering of ice that has been present for a number of weeks.

He added: “This has been a complex investigation which has involved a number of police officers since Sally was reported as missing. Our thoughts are with the family at this time.”