Medics baffled as fit and healthy woman, 22, dies of acute liver failure

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

MYSTERY surrounds the death of a fit and healthy young law student who died within hours of complaining of pain in her legs.

Pathologists have been unable to explain why Kirsty Michelle Warne died from acute liver failure despite six doctors at Doncaster Royal Infirmary battling to keep her alive.

The 22-year-old had no history of alcohol or drug abuse and a possible theory that she was taking unlicensed medication was dismissed during a police investigation.

Doncaster deputy coroner Fred Curtis praised the emergency medical treatment she received but said only an immediate liver transplant could have saved Kirsty, who died in April 2010.

He said a thorough investigation into her lifestyle had found nothing for which she could be reproached or criticised.

“She was showing every prospect of success in life and it must have come as a great shock to her parents and boyfriend.”

Her tearful family declined to talk about her tragic death, which occurred on the same day she began to suffer pain in her calves.

Kirsty was taken to her GP who feared she might have a deep vein thrombosis so arranged her immediate admission to DRI, but a DVT was quickly ruled out.

She became jaundiced within two hours and abnormal blood test results caused her consultant serious concern.

Just before she was to be given a blood transfusion she went into cardiac arrest and despite every effort by five or six doctors to revive her, she died.

“No-one knew why this active and healthy young lady should die in this way.

“The cause of death was acute liver failure, but the cause of that is unknown,” said Mr Curtis.

Experts says between 15 and 20 per cent of liver failure deaths are from an undetermined cause.

There were no toxins or infections found in Kirsty’s body.

Detectives checked her bank account to see if she had been buying unlicensed medical products over the internet or at her gym, but she had not.

“There has been a very thorough investigation by police into her lifestyle which has found she was active and healthy and there was nothing in which you could reproach or criticise her for,” said Mr Curtis.

“There is not a scrap of evidence to suggest that what happened here was anything other than totally innocent, and Kirsty had no part in bringing about the liver failure.”

Mr Curtis recorded a narrative verdict that she died within a few hours having suffered acute liver failure caused by an unpredictable reaction to an unknown toxin, agent or condition.