Man saved by firefighters

Share this article
Have your say

A MAN was saved from his smoke-filled home after a neighbour heard his alarm sounding and dialled 999.

The man, in his 20s, started to cook food in his flat on Fulwood Road, Broomhill, Sheffield, after a night out, but fell asleep.

Firefighters found him asleep on his sofa at 9am on Thursday while his kitchen was full of smoke.

Because he had closed the door between the two rooms the smoke had not filtered into his lounge - stopping him from inhaling deadly fumes.

A Fire Service spokesman said: “He was very lucky.

“A neighbour heard the alarm sounding and could not rouse him so they dialled 999 and we entered the flat and found him asleep on the sofa with smoke in the kitchen.

“They led him outside and ventilated his flat.”