Man in flat fire rescue

Share this article
Have your say

A MAN aged 48 needed treatment for smoke inhalation after a chip pan caught fire in his South Yorkshire flat.

Fire crews from Maltby and Rotherham broke into the property on Hallows Drive, Maltby and rescued the resident after neighbours were alerted by a smoke alarm at 3am on Saturday.

The man was given first aid and taken to Rotherham District General Hospital and his second floor flat was saved from damage beyond smoke.

A fire service spokesman said the smoke alarm had “saved the day because he would not have been here”.

One neighbour said: “I heard engines early in the morning so I got out of bed to see what the fuss was. I saw the firemen in their gear and a couple of people standing around watching them. I heard someone was in the flat but not seriously hurt.”