Man dies and girl, 3, critically injured in horror rail crash

Officers attend the scene where two people were struck on the east coast main line near to Adwick Railway Station.
Officers attend the scene where two people were struck on the east coast main line near to Adwick Railway Station.
Have your say

A MAN has been killed and a small child critically injured in a horror crash involving an express train in South Yorkshire.

Police were last night treating the site of the collision as a crime scene and were hunting for clues as to why the pair had been on the tracks.

A 28-year-old man from Bentley, Doncaster, was pronounced dead at the scene, but officers have not revealed whether the injured three-year-old girl he was with was related to him.

She was airlifted to Sheffield Children’s Hospital by the Yorkshire Air Ambulance for emergency treatment.

Both were reported to have been struck by the 10.35am King’s Cross to Leeds service, as it approached Adwick Station. It was still around a mile away from the station, and the collision - which happened next to a farmer’s wheat field - was around half a mile from the nearest road.

Police and the ambulance services were informed of the incident at 12.28pm.

Officers from British Transport Police initially thought the collision had happened on a foot crossing over the track, but investigations later revealed this was not the case.

A spokesman for the force said: “We don’t know why they were there.

“They were not struck on a crossing, and no one has any idea what they were doing there.

“There is no access point, so how they got there will form part of the investigation.

“There are fences so they would have had to have climbed over them.”

Around 20 transport officers were on the scene, and a search team was also brought in to scour the land next to the tracks for any items offering clues as to why the man and child were there.

A policeman in a patrol car stood guard at the end of a track off Doncaster Lane, Adwick, which led to the scene - the only visible sign that something was wrong from the main road.

Around 160 passengers were kept on the train for more than three hours while the investigation was carried out, with the train itself being treated as part of the crime scene. The passengers were provided with water and refreshments by staff on the train.

The train was eventually allowed to leave just before 4pm and was taken to Wakefield, but the railway line remained closed well into the evening.

Police are appealing for witness to the incident.

Anyone who saw what happened or who has any information which can help police is asked to call British Transport Police on 0800 405040.