Man detained by police after four-hour siege in Sheffield

Police car on street at Aldfield Way Norwood
Police car on street at Aldfield Way Norwood
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN was detained by police officers and sectioned under the Mental Health Act after a four-hour siege at his home in Sheffield yesterday.

Aldfield Way and parts of Edensor Road, in Norwood, were cordoned off as police negotiators tried to persuade the 41-year-old to leave a terraced house.

Eventually, after discussions with the man and his wife, officers managed to detain the man and take him to hospital.

A family friend, returning the wife to her home at around 4.30pm, told The Star there “had been a bit of a stand-off” - but claimed the police activity had been “completely unnecessary”.

Rumours started to fly around the estate shortly after 11am, when a number of police cars sped onto the estate.

Neighbours told The Star they had heard a woman had been killed in the area - but police confirmed nobody sustained injuries.

A 29-year-old mum who lives near the scene said: “It’s a bit unsettling. There have been police everywhere, the road’s cordoned off at the top and the bottom, and only residents are being allowed home.

“It’s a nice road with nice people on it, and my son plays out all the time along here.

“He’s asking, ‘What’s going on, why are all these police here?’ It’s just horrible.

“This is a nice area, things like this don’t usually happen, not on our road.”

One man said around 15 police cars arrived on the street in the morning, and said there were initial rumours - later dispelled - that a child had been kidnapped.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Police attended an address on Aldfield Way in Sheffield for a scheduled appointment to speak with a 41-year-old man.

“On arrival, the man refused to open the door. Following officers’ concerns for the man, and for a woman also in the property at the time, negotiators were called to the scene.

“After a number of hours of negotiations, officers entered the property and detained the man under the Mental Health Act at around 3pm. The woman in the property was not injured.”