Man, 41, is found dead hours after taking legal high

Have your say

A South Yorkshire man has died just hours after taking a legal high drug at his home.

Stephen Lowe, aged 41, of Queens Drive, Barnsley, was found dead by his partner Leanne Barton after smoking a substance called Exodus.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Wilkie said it was the first case of its type in the town.

He said: “He is the first person we are aware of who has taken something and ended up dead, even though we can’t say he did because of that.

“The result of the post mortem is inconclusive, but he had taken legal highs along with a cocktail of alcohol.

“We don’t know the cause of death until we get a toxicology report and that can take weeks.”

It is legal for shops to sell substances such as Exodus, but police are alarmed they are not being used for their intended purpose.

DCI Wilkie said: “The government will become aware of them and will try to classify them and make them illegal.

“However, up until then people can sell them and are not doing anything wrong.

“Smoking, eating or injecting such substances which have no medical testing is dangerous.

“It is unbelievable what people will put in their bodies. The message is, don’t take them.”