Lucky escape for residents after two chip pan fires in South Yorkshire

Firefighters are urging members of the public to never leave cooking unattended after two chip pan fires in South Yorkshire over the weekend.

Monday, 12th December 2016, 8:50 am
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 12:31 pm
Bellhouse Road, Sheffield.

The occupants of a house in Bellhouse Road, Shiregreen, had a lucky escape after a grill pan overheated and caused fire damage.

Firefighters from Elm Lane Station attended at 10.20pm last night and put the blaze out after helping the occupants out. There were no injuries reported.

This incident followed a similar one in Doncaster on Saturday afternoon.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A man aged in his 90s had to flee his home in Peel Hill Road, Thorne, at 2pm after a chip pan caused smoke damage. A crew from Thorne Station put the blaze out. The elderly man did not need treatment.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: "Don’t leave pans unattended when cooking and remember to take them off the hob if you have to leave the room.

"Take extra care at night, it’s easy to be careless when you’re tired or if you’ve been drinking. Always keep the oven, hob and grill clean, a build-up of fat and grease can easily catch fire."

Elsewhere, arsonists set fire to two wheelie bins in Doncaster Road, Kendray in Barnsley, at 10.15pm on Friday. Barnsley Station firefighters put the blaze out in 20 minutes.

Firefighters had to free one person who was trapped in a vehicle after a collision on the main road through Crookes at 10.25pm last night. The incident involved two vehicles.