'Lucky escape' for occupants of South Yorkshire home who returned home from pub in time to save house from light fitting blaze

The occupants of a South Yorkshire property have had a 'lucky escape' after returning home from the pub in time to call the fire service to put out a blaze believed to have been caused by a faulty light fitting.

Saturday, 5th August 2017, 9:17 am
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:02 pm
The occupants of a South Yorkshire property have a 'lucky escape' after returning home from the pub in time to call the fire service to put out a blaze believed to have been caused by a faulty light fitting.

The blaze broke out at a property in Bellbank Way, Athersley, Barnsley at around 10.30pm last night.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the occupants returned to their property, after being at the pub, to find their house engulfed in smoke.

He said: "A light fitting had caught fire, and it filled the house with smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"They had a very lucky escape."

Appliances from Cudworth station were sent to tackle the fire.

No-one is believed to have been injured.