Log burner warning after fire crews called out to poisonous gas leak in Doncaster

Fire chiefs have issued a log burner safety warning after fire crews were called out to a potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak in Doncaster.

Saturday, 17th October 2020, 7:52 am

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue has urged people to make sure they use the heating devices safely as winter approaches following the incident earlier this week.

A fire spokesman said: “We were called to reports of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding in Pickburn earlier this week.

“Upon arrival we found the occupants were feeling unwell - which is less than ideal given the dangers that CO can pose.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

South Yorkshire Police have issued a warning about log burners in the run up to winter.

“At first we thought it was an issue with the boiler. However, this wasn't the case.

“As we investigated further, we realised that the gas was coming from a log burner that had been lit that week for the first time.

“It's true what they said on Game of Thrones. Winter is coming. So, we know it's only a matter of time before you fire your burners up.

“Before you do so, please, take our advice so you don't suffer at the hands of the silent killer.

“Here you have them - three steps that mean you can have a log burner AND be safe at the same time.

“Get your chimney swept by accredited sweeps.

"Have carbon monoxide detectors near burners.

"Call us if you think you could have a CO leak.”

A colourless, odourless, tasteless and highly toxic gas, carbon monoxide is deadly to humans and is the most common type of poisoning around the world.