Life-saving Sheffield Wednesday medics praised

A hero medical team has been praised for saving the life of an Owls fan who suffered a heart attack at a Sheffield Wednesday game.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 21st January 2016, 6:42 am
Updated Thursday, 21st January 2016, 8:19 am
Stadium operations managerJohn Rutherford, left, and Gary Wilkinson, deputy safety officer, right, with some of the stewarding team at Sheffield Wednesday

Emergency first responders raced to the stand and gave vital treatment to the 60-year-old stricken fan.


Diana Turner has praised the medical team at Sheffield Wednesday

Sign up to our daily newsletter

A friend today praised the team for saving her pal’s life.

Diana Turner, 50, of Ecclesfield, was with a group of friends when one of them took ill around 40 minutes into the home game against Leeds United, on Saturday, at Hillsborough.

“He was just sitting up with his head to one side. He looked like he was asleep, but I knew he wasn’t,” she said.

Diana Turner has praised the medical team at Sheffield Wednesday

“He loves football and would never miss the match. He never gave any sign that he was in pain.

“He can’t really remember what happened – but he definitely wants to go back to see more games.

“I want to thank all the paramedics, who did a wonderful job, and Sheffield Wednesday for recognising him and kindly giving him a new shirt and some tickets to their future games.

“Thanks also to all the supporters to taking time to send get well wishes.”

The man’s spirits were further raised when club chairman Dejphon Chansiri visited him in hospital to deliver a new Owls shirt, after his old one was cut open as medics treated him.

Sheffield Wednesday stadium operations manager John Rutherford said: “This is not just about the paramedics, it is about the whole medical team who worked together, and thankfully the man survived.

“On Saturday, we had two Yorkshire Ambulance Service ambulances and two UK Events Medical Services ambulances on site.

“There were two doctors there specifically to deal with any medical issues arising within the crowd, as well as doctors for the team. There were also 30 first responders and 300 stewards.

“Our stewards were alerted to the incident by a member of the public, who then rang through to our control room to give us the specific location, and first responders were sent as soon as possible.

“Unfortunately, this is the second medical incident we have had this season, but on both occasions the people survived and the club is extremely proud of the way the whole team dealt with both incidents.”