South Yorkshire firefighters issue warning about danger of dirty ovens

editorial image
Have your say

Firefighters are urging people to make cleaning out their oven their New Year’s resolution.

A fire service survey last year found 40 per cent of South Yorkshire residents had not cleaned out their oven or grill pan for at least six months.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue’s Head of Community Safety, Kevin Ronan, said: “You’d be amazed how many homes we go to where minimum standards of hygiene and cleanliness aren’t maintained, putting residents at a real risk of having a fire that could severely damage their property.

“That’s why we’re raising awareness of this issue, to hopefully motivate people not to put off this particular household chore any longer and make cleaning out their oven their New Year’s resolution.”

Firefighters tackled five kitchen fires in South Yorkshire over the Christmas period alone.

For more information about how to reduce fire risks in the kitchen visit