It was dubbed the Yorkshire Disneyland - and considered to be the finest toy shop in Britain outside London.
Sheffield’s famous Redgates store was a magical oasis for generations of youngsters from across the city and beyond.
Thirty years ago this year, the iconic store closed its doors for the last time.
But we are re-opening the doors and the memories by taking a trip back to the golden days of Redgates with this great gallery of pictures from a bygone era.
The huge store, across several floors, was a haven of brightly coloured stacks of Lego, dolls’ houses, Subbuteo, Meccano, bikes, outfits, Matchbox cars, railway sets, wooden horses and board games.
And staff would be encouraged to play with toys in the store - especially in the run-up to Christmas each year when it would come into its own.
The shop was founded on Fargate by Edwin Redgate in 1857, later moving to The Moor.
Here’s a few key dates in the histor of Redgates
1857 - E Redgate is opened by Edwin Redgates in Fargate. It sells sewing machines and furs.
1890 onwards - Cheap fur which won’t sell is used to make pram covers. Prams are sold for the first time to go with the covers. Wheeled toys are also brought in.
1895 - William S Nunn marries Edwin’s daughter, Annie Gertrude, and later becomes a partner in the business.
1918 - George Nunn, son of William and Annie Gertrude brings more toys to the business after visiting Manchester Toy Fair.
1925 - The store moves to Moorhead for the first of two stays there.
1940 - The store is badly damaged during the Sheffield Blitz and relocates to Ecclesall Road.
1948 - Michael Nunn, the last member of the Redgate family to run the business, joins at just 20 years of age.
1954 - It moves back to Moorhead followed, in 1962, to Furnival Gate.
1986 - After 129 years as a family concern the store is sold to UK chain Zodiac Toys.
1988 - Zodiac shuts the store.