Last chance for man who plagues his dad

Share this article
Have your say

A PENSIONER pleaded with a Doncaster court not to send his son to jail for turning up on his doorstep on Father’s Day.

John Stephen Watson has previously been banned by court order from going within 100m of his dad Matthew Watson’s home in Ashdown Place, Scawthorpe, because of his previous conduct.

But Mr Watson senior, aged 70, was forced to call police on Father’s Day when his son showed up in a drunken state and stood outside despite being told to go away.

The 36-year-old has been the subject of a county court non-molestation order for the past year, but his repeated breaches had persuaded Doncaster magistrates to impose a separate restraining order just four days before the Father’s Day incident.

Watson junior, of Warmsworth Road, Balby, pleaded guilty to breaching both orders when he appeared before Doncaster Crown Court yesterday. His barrister, Guy Wyatt, submitted a letter written by the defendant’s father in which he stated he did not want his son to go to prison.

“As breaches go it must fall at the bottom of the scale. It caused upset and anxiety but there were no threats,” he told the court.

Judge Jacqueline Davies told the defendant she was deferring sentence for three months to see if he can continue with an alcohol rehabilitation programme at St Catherine’s Hospital.

John Watson said from the dock: “I know I shouldn’t have gone there but I just love him.”

Judge Davies said: “Your father and your family have been seriously affected by your conduct but your breach is not the most serious of its kind.

“But your father at his time of life doesn’t want to be bothered with this kind of treatment. You need to be making something of your life rather than just drinking.

“It is up to you to comply with the terms of the order.”

Prosecutor Carl Fitch said the court orders prevented Watson threatening violence to his father, from going within 100m of his home or sending abusive communications.

On the afternoon of Father’s Day Mr Watson was at home with another son when he heard a knock on the door and could see Watson junior outside, very drunk.

He told him to leave “but got no response and the defendant just stood there”, said Mr Fitch.

He added that Watson has already been jailed twice for breaching the order.