Killer husband ‘lost all control’

Joy Billam
Joy Billam
Have your say

A HUSBAND accused of murdering his estranged wife told a jury he ‘just lost all control’ after ‘seeing red’ on the night he killed her.

Raymond Billam, aged 63, allegedly murdered 46-year-old Joy Billam at his house in Guildford Road, Wheatley, Doncaster, when they rowed while discussing divorce proceedings.

Joy’s body was found in the boot of her car less than 24 hours later. She had got engaged to her boyfriend, Michael Woodland, the day before her death last September.

Billam told Sheffield Crown Court Joy came round to his house to discuss the impending divorce on September 30 and that he ‘wanted a reconciliation’.

He said she wanted to rush the divorce through, but he told her: “I will stretch it out as long as I can.

“All of a sudden she said something about Micky being better in bed than I was,” he said.

“I saw red. I was utterly gobsmacked. I called her a slag. She came at me like a crazy woman, she was scratching and kicking and nipping.”

Billam said he pushed Joy away, and that she fell backwards in between a chair and a coffee table before he stood up, falling on top of her.

He told the jury he took the flex from a transformer which was on the coffee table and held it between his hands, putting it across her neck.

“I told her to shut her mouth once and for all. I just lost all control.

“When I realised she was dead I thought, ‘My God, what have I done?’.”

He drove Joy’s car to Goldthorpe, parking near Michael’s house and leaving the body in the boot.

Billam said: “I didn’t know where I was going. I just got into the car and drove. I just wanted to get Joy’s body and the car away from me.”

The former miner, who used to work at Manvers Main Colliery, told the court he met Joy at Hatfield Working Men’s Club in Stainforth in 1996. They married in May 1997.

Billam said the first decade of their marriage was ‘fantastic’.

“I loved her to pieces, I would have walked on hot coals for her. She was the love of my life.”

Billam admits killing her but denies murder.

The trial continues.