Jurors hear harrowing 999 calls

Mohammed Kahar
Mohammed Kahar
Have your say

A JURY heard harrowing 999 calls made moments after a young Sheffield student was knocked down by a car which mounted a kerb following weeks of clashes between Somali and Bengali youths.

Abdulla Awil Mohammed, aged 18, died at the scene on Coleridge Road in Darnall in March, after being hit on the head by a road sign that was knocked over by the car driving towards him and Somali friends.

A passenger in the car, Bengali teenager Mohammed Kahar, 19, of Swarcliffe Road in Darnall, is on trial for manslaughter.

The Sheffield Crown Court jury heard recordings of the calls Kahar made to emergency services moments after the crash.

“He’s dying. He needs help now. He’s in the middle of the road,” he said.

“You need to bring the ambulance and that’s it, ’cause if he’s going to die it’ll be your fault. He’s been run over and he’s not breathing.

“I can’t see him breathing but his heart is slowly beating. His head’s bleeding.”

Stephen Kamlish QC, defending Kahar, said the young man claims to have been using his phone at the time of the accident and was not involved in any plot.

But the court also heard Kahar sent a text message to friend Nizamul Hoque, 20, several hours earlier, saying, ‘We know where they are’ and asking his friend to bring a ‘strap’ - slang for gun. Police were called to a fight on Staniforth Road in Darnall around 40 minutes later - two hours before Abdulla Mohammed’s death.

Accident investigator PC Adrian Burgoyne arrived on the scene around 20 minutes after the first 999 calls were received.

He said the car had sustained damage to the front of the driver’s side, its windscreen and suspension. There was a thick, black tyre mark up the kerb and a rip in the deflated front tyre.

PC Burgoyne said the marks suggested that control of the car’s steering had been maintained throughout, and there was no physical evidence to suggest the brakes had been applied.

“My opinion is the vehicle was travelling on a perfectly straight, flat road, and there were no mechanical defects. My opinion is it must have been a deliberate act to mount the kerb,” he said.

Kahar denies manslaughter.

The trial continues.