Inquest into death of 74-year-old Doncaster man after house fire

Doncaster coroner Nicola MundyDoncaster coroner Nicola Mundy
Doncaster coroner Nicola Mundy
An inquest into the death of a 74-year-old man after a Doncaster house fire has been opened and adjourned.

Alan Tabor died after a fire started in his home, in Beckett Road, Wheatley, on December 26 last year, Doncaster Coroner’s Court heard.

Despite the efforts of the emergency services to save him, Mr Tabor died after the Boxing Day blaze.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Reading a statement about the tragic incident at the hearing, coroner’s officer David Evans said: “The emergency services were called to the property following concerns from a neighbour.

“Fire services attended, there was a fire and they recovered the body of Alan Tabor from the property.

“They started CPR on him and he was then taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary, but he died shortly after.”

He said Mr Tabor had formally been identified by his brother, Brian.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Senior coroner Nicola Mundy said there had been a coroner’s investigation into the death and that was now complete.

She said a cause of death had been recorded by the pathologist but this was not revealed in court.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue statement released at the time of the death said: “A man has sadly died following a fire at his home in Wheatley, Doncaster.

“Three fire engines from Doncaster, Adwick and Edlington stations were called to the house on Beckett Road at 9.15pm on Boxing Day.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“The man was rescued from his home and given first aid at the scene, then taken by ambulance to hospital where he later died. The fire, which was contained to the kitchen area, was quickly extinguished.”

A further statement said: “Initial investigations determined that the cause of the fire was accidental and probably cooking related, but we are now preparing our findings for the coroner.”

The inquest has been adjourned until Monday, July 25 at 10am.

The blaze happened on a tragic day in Doncaster.

On the same day, three friends were killed after they were hit by a car on Sutton Road, Askern, while walking home.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Andrew Tomlinson, aged 48, and his wife Faye Tomlinson, 54, died, along with Mandy Deere, 54. Her husband, John Deere, 57, suffered life-changing injuries.

Ricky Hepworth, aged 24, was sentenced to eight years in prison for three counts of causing death by dangerous driving and one count of causing serious injuries by dangerous driving at Sheffield Crown Court in April.

Related topics: