The family of South Yorkshire grandmother Nora Tait are not giving up hope her seven-year-old murder can still be solved.
After an unlawful killing verdict was recorded at yesterday’s inquest into the death of the 69-year-old widow, Doncaster Coroner Nicola Mundy said she hoped fresh information might still bring the killer to justice.
South Yorkshire Police have already made public their vow to catch the man who attacked and killed Mrs Tait with a blunt instrument in her home in October 2005. Nine suspects have been arrested in the protracted inquiry but none has been charged, on the advice of a QC, due to insufficient evidence.
Mrs Tait’s daughter, Jayne Watson, thanked The Star for its extensive coverage of the case since 2005 and said: “This is the verdict we were expecting.
“We just hope something might come of it and some extra information is provided to the police.”
Mrs Tait’s best friend Pamela Haigh’s son, Leslie Mills, discovered the body at her terraced house in Stone Close Avenue, Hexthorpe, on October 13.
He had phoned Mrs Tait the previous day and got no answer, so called round at about 10am because he thought his mother might be there.
“I knocked on the door and there was no answer,” he told the court. “I tried the handle and it was unlocked. I found her and phoned the ambulance and my mother to tell her what had happened.”
Mrs Tait had suffered several ‘blunt force’ blows to her head, and broken bones in her right hand showed she had put up a fight before she died from brain injuries in the dining room.
Giving her verdict, Ms Mundy said there was no evidence to suggest anyone held grievances against Mrs Tait.
The coroner said she thought Mrs Tait ‘wasn’t entirely meticulous as to the locking of doors’ and added: “I am satisfied there had been times when the door would be unlocked.”
She added: “I hope this inquest might prompt someone to come to the police, so the person responsible can be brought to justice.”