Inmate who attacked Doncaster prison officer in row over TV handed more time behind bars

A 36-year-old inmate at a Doncaster prison who attacked a guard when he was refused permission to move a television into his new cell has been given more time behind bars.

Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 6:00 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:45 am
HMP Moorland in Doncaster

The incident took place after Abdi Saeed, 36, was transferred to the private cell he requested at HMP Moorland, only to discover it did not have a television - unlike his previous cell, Sheffield Crown Court was told.

On making the discovery, Saeed, who was serving an indeterminate sentence for aggravated robbery, affray and possession of a bladed weapon at the time of the offence on December 9 last year, went back to his previous cell and attempted to smuggle the television out among his belongings.

It was at this point that a prison guard told Somalian-born Saeed he was not allowed to take the television from the cell, which had been placed there because his cellmate had enhanced privileges.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prosecutor Nicola Quinney explained: "The defendant became loud and aggressive.

"The prison guard went to shut the cell door, and the defendant put his foot in the way and tried to prevent it from being shut.

"The defendant grabbed hold of his arm, came towards the officer and head butted him in the mouth.

"The two of them moved into the corridor, and the defendant continued to assault the officer."

The court was told how prisoners gathered around and began watching the attack, which was broken up a short time later after more prison officers arrived at the scene.

The prison officer suffered bruising and cuts to his face, a cut above his ear which had to be glued and bruising to his chest in the attack.

Speaking in a victim impact statement submitted to the court, the officer said: "He went way beyond what was reasonable in the attack. It was very frightening, and it has caused me to feel scared and intimidated."

Defending Saeed, who pleaded guilty to one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm at an earlier hearing, Stefan Fox said: "The defendant has genuine remorse in relation to this matter and he wants to convey his sincere apologies to the officer who was involved.

"Mr Saeed says that on the day he was asked to move the prison officer was being extremely aggressive.

"He was already wrought with emotion because his brother had passed away a few days before the incident.

"He is nine years past the extended sentence minimum term of two years, three months."

The court was told was due to have a hearing with the parole board to discuss his indeterminate sentence imminently, who Mr Fox conceded were 'unlikely to look upon him favourably' following the attack on the prison officer.

Sentencing Saeed to an additional nine months in prison, Recorder David Kelly told the defendant: "He told you you could not take the television, and there is absolutely no excuse for what followed after.

"The assault must have been very frightening for someone who was just doing his job.

"I regard that to be an aggravating factor."