Ilkeston 0 Chesterfield 3: Evans makes his mark for Spireites

Ched Evans scored on his Chesterfield debut as the Spireites ran out comfortable 3-0 winners at Ilkeston on Saturday.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 24th July 2016, 4:11 pm
Updated Sunday, 24th July 2016, 5:14 pm
Ched Evans scored one and made another. Photo: Rui Vieira/PA Wire.
Ched Evans scored one and made another. Photo: Rui Vieira/PA Wire.

The formeer Sheffield United striker netted the second goal on his first appearance since his well-publicised signing last month, the visitors putting out a strong side as they continue preparations for the new League One season which is just a fortnight away.

Ilkeston weren’t overawed and had some good moments but they struggled to make too many inroads in the attacking third, once again this being a good exercise in defensive shape for former Spireite and current Robins head coach Paul Holland.

And it was Evans who had the first good chance of the game as he was fed through the middle by his strike partner Sylvan Ebanks-Blake but, at a slight angle, put his shot wide of the far post.

Luis Rose then ventured forward at the other end for Ilkeston but saw his shot from 25 yards fly too high.

The game dropped into something of a lull, not helped by the substantial heat in which it was being played, Evans next to threaten with a mis-hit shot from Connor Dimaio’s pull back and Robins skipper Matt Baker on hand to clear from danger.

Ebanks-Blake then hooked over the bar from just a few yards out and with his back to goal after a corner had been headed down to him.

The first-half petered out with only another Rose half chance going wide for the hosts, the visitors having edged the opening 45 minutes but without seriously testing home goalkeeper Jamie Hannis.

The opening goal arrived just 90 seconds into the second-half.

Evans got free down the right and pulled the ball back from the byline to where newly-arrived sub Ritchie Humphreys got in front of a defender and fired home.

The second came five minutes later as a corner was headed back across goal by Laurence Maguire and Evans was on hand to nod in from a couple of yards out.

Substitutions began to puncture the flow of the game had and it took until 64 minutes for a major chance, Robins sub David Jones heading straight at subsitute keeper Lloyd Allinson.

Recent signing from Chelsea Reece Mitchell saw a good header well saved by Hannis low down to his right, sub Rai Simons then lobbing the home stopper but the ball dropping just wide.

Sub Jake Beesley netted the third Chesterfield goal five minutes from time, getting to the ball first just outside the penalty area and then finishing well.

Both sides had had a sizeable workout in hot conditions, but each having plenty of positives to take from the encounter.

the teams

Chesterfield: Ryan Fulton (Lloyd Allinson 46), Paul McGinn (Liam Graham 64), Sam Hird, Gary Liddle, Ched Evans (Rai Simons 60), Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (Curtis Morrison 60), Reece Mitchell (Dan Jones 72), Gboly Ariyibi (Jake Beesley 78), Connor Dimaio (Ritchie Humphreys 46), Dion Donohue, Laurence Maguire

Subs not used: Ian Evatt, Kristian Dennis