Hot oil sparks a blaze in fridge

Share this article
Have your say

A MAN started an accidental fire at his home when he placed a pan of hot cooking oil in his fridge to cool.

The man had been preparing food in the kitchen at his home on Staniforth Road, Darnall, Sheffield, and placed the oil in the refrigerator before he went to bed.

But water from the contents of the fridge dripped onto the hot fat, causing it to ignite.

The man was alerted to the blaze when his smoke alarm sounded. Crews from Darnall and Central fire stations in Sheffield attended the three-storey property in the early minutes of yesterday.

The man was uninjured, but his kitchen and dining room were damaged by smoke and heat.

Meanwhile in Creswell, flames from a barbecue sparked a fire in a back garden on Sycamore Avenue. Clowne crews used water jets to put out the fire.