A SHEFFIELD man has been hailed a hero after rescuing his severely-disabled neighbour from his burning home.
Michael Hamilton dragged 40-year-old James Burton from his ground-floor flat after seeing smoke billowing from the property.
And James, who has severely-restricted movement due to a brain injury, said: “The man who lives upstairs saved me, he was a hero.
“I owe him a big thank you, but, the thing is, I don’t even know his name.”
Michael was ill in bed with the flu when he was woken by shouts and screams.
The 28-year-old, of Clover Gardens, Wincobank, looked from his window, but could not see anything.
However, when he went downstairs he saw smoke billowing from the ground floor flat.
Michael, a welfare benefits advisor, said: “I knew a disabled man lived in the flat, so I went to kick the door in.
“Thankfully, he had managed to crawl to the door and open it.
“I picked him up and carried him away, by which time the fire brigade had arrived.
“I was just doing what anyone would have done really.”
Firefighters from Elm Lane and Darnall fire stations were called to the incident on Saturday, at about 7.20pm, and arrived on scene within about five minutes.
A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “When they got there, a neighbour had already dragged the occupier of the house, who was in his 40s, to safety.
“When they got there, a neighbour had already dragged the occupier of the house, who was in his 40s, to safety.
“Fire crews gave the occupier oxygen until an ambulance arrived.
“He was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.”
The fire started after a chip pan was left on the hob unattended and burst into flames. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and put out the fire using a hose reel.
“Firefighters left the scene just after 8pm. The house was fitted with working smoke alarms, which helped to raise the alarm.”
Mr Burton was allowed home from hospital following medical checks.