Hedgehog dies after being injured in Sheffield garden

The hedgehog was cared for by veterinary assistant Natalie Wilkinson
The hedgehog was cared for by veterinary assistant Natalie Wilkinson
0
Have your say

A hedgehog has died after being injured in a garden, leading to calls from vets to check your lawn before you mow.

The hedgehog, found in the High Green area of Sheffield, had lost three toes and had a badly injured foot after being caught in a mower. Despite best efforts he died of his injures on Thursday.

The hedgehog had lost three toes and had a badly injured foot (Picture: Natalie Wilkinson)

The hedgehog had lost three toes and had a badly injured foot (Picture: Natalie Wilkinson)

Natalie Wilkinson, a veterinary assistant at Beech House vets in High Green, cared for the injured hedgehog.

She said: "Hedgehogs are rarely seen during the day. If they are seen out during daylight hours there is often something wrong. Don't leave them, gently scoop them up under their tummy using thick gloves and put them in a high sided box or cat carrier somewhere safe and quiet.

"A heat pad or hot water bottle should be placed under a blanket (water from tap not a kettle so it's not too hot). Pop some cat/dog (meat based not fish) food onto a flat piece of cardboard so the hog can eat easily.

"A water source should always be available. Most vets treat injured or sick hedgehogs free of charge and can offer advice on hedgehog rescues.

"Always check before you mow! You never know what you'll find hiding."