Proposals for an expansion at St Luke’s Hospice have been submitted.
Earlier this year the hospice announced plans to move into Clifford House, a £3.6 million Victorian property next to its existing site on Little Common Lane, Whirlow, to form a new ‘hub’ to allow an increase in its community services for patients with terminal illnesses.
Now a planning application has been lodged with Sheffield Council.
The proposals show the ground and first floors of the house will be refurbished, creating rooms for meetings, group activities, patient consultations and therapy sessions. There will also be a drop-in centre and café.
Residential care will continue to be exclusively provided at the hospice’s £5 million inpatient unit.
A pathway will connect the building and gardens to the main hospice site. The house’s existing gates and stone pillars will be removed and the kerb set back to widen the entrance off Ecclesall Road South.
Extra parking will be provided and a one-way system set up for a minibus and ambulance drop-off zone.
Consultants DLP Planning, acting on behalf of St Luke’s, said: “Palliative care is an important benefit to the community and this can be successfully integrated into the site while retaining the context of Clifford House and the historic gardens.”
The property was built in 1894 for colliery owner Denys Hague. It was later bought by businessman Charles Clifford.
Current owners Hugh and Frances Facey - of Sheffield firms Gripple and Loadhog - purchased the house in 1999. The new wing will open next August if plans are approved.