Handsworth Parramore storm back to shock Stocksbridge Park Steels in FA Cup; Sheffield FC get first win of season

The FA Cup proved just the tonic Sheffield FC were looking for as James Colliver's side kick-started their season with a 2-1 victory at Evo-Stik Division One North side Ramsbottom United.

Monday, 22nd August 2016, 4:47 am
Stocksbridge Park Steels defender Matt Reay (red shirt) and Handsworth striker Jon Froggatt in race for the ball. Photo: Gillian Handisides

But Stocksbridge Park Steels crashed out 4-1 at NCE League Premier Division favourites Handsworth Parramore, suffering their third straight defeat, while t the Ambers have won all five outings.

After back-to-back league defeats Sheffield boss Colliver will be delighted to get a first win of the season.

After an early flurry from Ramsbottom Sheffield began to get a hold on the tie and Matt Roney’s free-kick curled just wide of the post.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The deadlock was broken on 31 minutes. Liam Royles sent Hafeez Hamzet away down the left and his cross to the front post was headed in by the inrushing Reece Treasure.

Ashley Longstaff was put in on goal but the big striker was denied by the feet of of the United keeper.

The hosts grabbed the equaliser five minutes from the break.

Alex Meaney tried his luck from distance and although Butt got a hand to the shot he couldn’t keep the ball out.

Sheffield started the second half on the front foot and got the winner on 75 minutes. Roney’s free-kick was headed on by Pat Lindley, Cooksey reacting quickest to nip in and head over the keeper.

Sheffield face Farsley Celtic at home in the next round on September 3.

Handsworth showed they won’t look out of place should they win promotion to the Evo-Stik League after coming from behind to beat Stocksbridge.

Steels were missing key playersbut took a deserved lead on 25 minutes. Ashley Burbeary’s well struck shot was parried by Jamie Green but there was Scott Ruthven to pounce on the rebound.

Ruthven almost doubled the lead with an 18-yard effort that whistled just wide.

But Handsworthhit back with two goals in three minutes just before the break.

Tom Dugdale ran on to Sam Denton’s ball to tuck away a 42nd minute equaliser and a minute before the interval they went in front. From a Dugdale corner Wells headed goalwards where Jon Froggatt got the final touch.

Ambers added a third on 73 minutes. Sub Danny Buttle crossed for Wells to score with a clinical finish. Conor Higginsonhit the fifth on 78 minutes with a sweet low drive.

Handsworth now travel to North West Counties side Squires Gate in the first qualifying round.

It was disappointing elsewhere for the local teams. Shaw Lane AFC went out 1-0 at home against Colwny Bay, while Parkgate were beaten 4-1 at Green Lane by Evo-Stik side Burscough where Lebrun Mbeka scored the Steelmen’s consolation.

Ashley Flynn and Liam Schofield were on target for AFC Emley in a 3-2 defeat at Main Road.

Evo-Stik Fixtures


Premier Division: Buxton v Workington, Frickley Athletic v Stourbridge, Matlock Town v Sutton Coldfield Town.