Gunman opens fire at Sheffield house

No 9 Adlington Road,Parson X
No 9 Adlington Road,Parson X
Have your say

A GUNMAN is being hunted by police after shots were fired at a house in Sheffield while a couple and their children were inside.

The house on Adlington Road, Parson Cross, was targeted in the early hours - waking shocked neighbours from their sleep.

South Yorkshire Police said nobody was injured in the incident on Saturday.

The woman who lives in the semi-detached property told The Star her family had survived, but declined to comment further.

Temporary repairs with plastic were carried out to the bottom pane of the bedroom window yesterday.

A bullet hole was also visible through the wood in the door to the side of the property, surrounded by shot marks.

A police spokeswoman confirmed: “Police are investigating. There have not been any arrests and nobody has been injured.”

Residents on the street said police cordoned off Adlington Road from its junction with Southey Hill to Adlington Crescent for most of Saturday.

Part of Southey Hill was also taped off while officers carried out door-to-door inquiries and forensic officers did a sweep of the road and the house.

One pensioner said: “I was woken from my sleep by the sound of two loud bags. I am deaf and I heard them so that’s how loud they were.

“I thought they were fireworks because it is that time of year, and I went back to sleep.

“It was not until the next day people started saying there had been a shooting.”

A man on the same street said: “Police came round knocking on doors to say there had been an incident, but did not tell us what.

“I didn’t hear the shooting, but the top window of the house where it happened was shot out.”

Another neighbour, a mum, said: “I am glad nobody got hurt. There’s young kids live in the house, so thankfully nobody was injured.

“It’s frightening to have these things happening so close to home.”

Anyone with information should call South Yorkshire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

n A MAN shot and left for dead on his doorstep has regained consciousness in hospital.

Tyrone Woodhead, aged 42, of Doncaster Road, Wath-upon-Dearne, was shot on September 20.

A takeaway worker from the shop next door gave emergency first aid until paramedics arrived and rushed Mr Woodhead to hospital.

South Yorkshire Police said he is now awake, in a ‘critical but stable’ condition.

A force spokeswoman said he has not yet been interviewed.

Nathan Paul Wingfield, 22, of no fixed abode, has been charged with attempted murder, robbery and aggravated burglary, and remanded in custody with a trial date set for March.