Gunman jailed after man shot in both legs following argument at Sheffield takeaway

editorial image
Have your say

A gunman who shot a man in both legs after an argument outside a Sheffield takeaway has been jailed for 19 years.

Omar Ahmed, aged 25, of Nesfield Way, Firth Park, Sheffield, was found guilty by a jury after a trial at Sheffield Crown Court.

Extensive enquiries were carried out in April 2013 but no suspect was ever identified.

Ahmed was later arrested in October 2014 by chance after going through a red light on Burngreave Road a year later.

Ahmed pulled over on Barnsley Road but sped off when the officers got out of their car. The vehicle was followed to a dead end on Osgathorpe Road where Ahmed fled and was later apprehended.

Information was received that Ahmed had thrown a bag into a garden while being pursued by officers.

The bag was retrieved and found to contain a semi-automatic handgun. Tests on the handgun linked it to the incident in April 2013.

Ahmed was positively identified and arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

The original charges date back to April 11, 2013 when a 37-year-old man was shot in the doorway of a friend’s home following an argument outside a Wicker takeaway.

Ahmed was found guilty of Section 18 wounding, possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition.

He was jailed for 14 years for the wounding charge and five years for the possession of the firearm to run consecutively. He received a further two years for possession of ammunition to run concurrently.

Ahmed was found not guilty of attempted murder.

Investigating Officer Detective Constable Lamb said: “I am delighted that the jury has found Omar Ahmed guilty and that he has received such a considerable sentence.

“Following the shooting in April 2013, an investigation was launched and despite a number of lines of enquiries, CCTV work and an ID parade, we were unable to identify the gunman.

“DNA and forensic examinations of the shell casings from the gun that was used also proved inconclusive.”

Detective Constable Leigh Fontana said: “These officers were relentless in their pursuit of Ahmed and they were able to prevent him fleeing the scene.

“A search of the vehicle also uncovered a large hammer, balaclava and a bag of white powder.”

DC Lamb added: “It is testament to everyone involved in all stages of the investigation, including the victim who showed great courage and fortitude and the officers that chased down Ahmed, that he is now facing a significant period of time behind bars.

“This was a ruthless and violent attack which could have resulted in the loss of life.

“Fortunately, the victim survived the shooting and the offender has been brought to justice.”