GP in court over indecent assaults

Investigation: The Lyndhurst surgery where Dr Islam practised at the time of the alleged offences.
Investigation: The Lyndhurst surgery where Dr Islam practised at the time of the alleged offences.
Share this article
Have your say

A DOCTOR at a Doncaster GP surgery appeared in court yesterday accused of sexual offences against girl and women patients over a period of many years.

Dr Gousol Islam has been suspended by the General Medical Council following allegations made by the females, who are now all adults.

The 69-year-old entered Doncaster Magistrates’ Court in a wheelchair because he is due to have a hip replacement operation next week.

Islam, of Station Road, Hatfield, is charged with 29 offences of indecent assault.

The charges relate to alleged offences between 1971 and 1988 and involve six female victims.

Three of them were girls aged 13 to 16, and the other three were women.

It is understood the allegations relate to intimate examinations of the females while Islam was practising at the Lyndhurst surgery in Church Road, Stainforth.

The hearing was adjourned until next January to allow the prosecution to prepare papers for the case to be committed for trial at the crown court.

He did not enter any pleas.

Islam was granted bail with conditions that he surrenders his passport and has no contact with any of the prosecution witnesses.

The defendant has not been practising at the Lyndhurst surgery since January 2009, although the allegations did not come to light until last year.

A spokesman for NHS Doncaster said: “We have been helping the police with the investigation and will continue to do so.

“The General Medical Council suspended Dr Islam from practising in September 2010.

“If any other patients have any concerns about this case we would also them to make contact with our Patients Advice and Liaison Service on 01302 768 550 where staff will be able to put them in touch with the appropriate staff.”

The magistrates were informed the doctor will be going into hospital on November 1 for the hip replacement and a longer adjournment was requested to allow him time to recuperate from the surgery.

Since he stopped practising in March 2010 his patients have been dispersed to other practices in the area.