Girl, 3, in critical condition following train collision which killed man

editorial image
Have your say

A TRAIN guard has been hailed a hero for his efforts to try to help a young child after a horrific rail crash.

Railway bosses have confirmed the three-year-old girl was found seriously injured near the scene of the crash by a member of the train’s crew after the collision on Monday afternoon.

A 28-year-old man from Bentley was killed after an express train struck them both on the East Coast Mainline.

Police said the girl remained in a critical condition at Sheffield Children’s Hospital last night.

The collision happened on tracks next to wheat fields off Doncaster Lane, Adwick, around a mile south of Adwick Station.

One man, who had been on the train, said he had been told it was the guard who had found the youngster after the collision.

He said: “He found her still alive and breathing.

“I gather he was shaken and upset. I think he was a hero for doing what he could to help her.”

The youngster was airlifted from the scene by the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, and taken to Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

The man on the train, who did not want to be named, added East Coast staff had helped shaken passengers, providing them with drinks.

They waited for more than three hours before police agreed the train could be moved to Wakefield, from where passengers were taken by bus to Leeds. An East Coast spokesman said: “We can confirm that one of our train guards, on board the 10.35 King’s Cross to Leeds service involved in the incident, found the girl and checked her vital signs and noticed she was still breathing.

“He was then able to direct the emergency services to her when they arrived on the scene.

“Our staff on the train worked hard to make sure the passengers were as comfortable as possible and refreshments were provided on board.”

The main line was closed from 12.27pm until 6.07pm while police investigated.

Meanwhile, police were yesterday continuing with their inquiries at the scene of the crash, still looking for clues to what had happened.

Officers have not yet identified the dead man, and have not revealed if he was related to the injured girl.

The Doncaster coroner’s office is aware of the death. An inquest is expected to open before the end of the week.