Full Time Report: Sheffield Wednesday 2 Blackburn Rovers 1

Sheffield Wednesday came from behind to grab a crucial three points after a 2-1 victory over Blackburn Rovers at Hillsborough.

Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 9:41 pm
Kieran Lee puts in a cross in Sheffield Wednesday match against Blackburn Rovers at Hillsborough

Rovers had gone ahead early in the second half through Craig Conway, but the Owls fired back a few minutes later when Ross Wallace's shot was deflected in off Adam Henley.

The visitors then had Conway sent off before Wallace struck again with what turned out to be the winner.

Lucas Joao in action against Blackburn Rovers at Hillsborough

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Carlos Carvalhal made two changes to the starting XI which narrowly defeated Huddersfield on Saturday. Daniel Pudil was back in the side in place of Joe Bennett at left back, while Lucas Joao replaced Aiden McGeady who dropped to the bench.

It was the home side who took control of the game from the kick off, but chances on goal were at a premium. Fernando Forestieri saw a shot blocked after being fed by Gary Hooper on six minutes and on 13, Ross Wallace saw a long range effort easily saved by Rovers keeper Jason Steele.

Seven minutes later, the visitors had their first chance but former Owl Ben Marshall was thwarted by a brave tackle from Glenn Loovens. The Wednesday skipper received treatment for an injury picked up in the block and though he tried to continue, lasted just a few more minutes before being replaced by Vincent Sasso.

Wednesday continued to press, with Hooper doing well to bring down a Jack Hunt cross, but his shot on the turn was weak. Then on 36 minutes Alex Lopez stung the hands of Steele with a swerving drive from distance.

Lucas Joao in action against Blackburn Rovers at Hillsborough

A forgettable first half ended scoreless.

However, while the opening period was poor, the second half began with a bang as the visitors went in front less than a minute after the restart - Conway getting on the end of a cross from the right and heading beyond a sprawling Keiren Westwood.

However, Rovers' lead lasted just five minutes as Hooper broke forward and released Wallace whose shot took a huge deflection off Adam Henley and looped over the keeper.

And soon after that, Rovers were down to ten men as goalscorer Conway was given a straight red card for a poor challenge on Lopez.

The turnaround was complete for Wednesday just after the hour mark when Forestieri's cross was volleyed in on the stretch by Wallace.

The Owls were cruising after that, with Rovers offering little to no threat and the home side easing to victory in the end.

Substitute McGeady did have the crowd off their seats in injury time when his shot from 25 yards rattled the crossbar.


Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Hunt, Loovens, Lees, Pudil, Wallace, Lopez, Lee, Forestieri, Hooper, Joao. Subs: Wildsmith, Nuhiu, Palmer, Matias, McGugan, Sasso, McGeady.

Blackburn Rovers: Steele, Henley, Hanley, Marshall, Graham, Gomez, Ward, Grimes, Lenihan, Bennett, Conway.

Referee: David Webb