Four years for armed robber

Convicted: Bernard Currie.
Convicted: Bernard Currie.
Have your say

A HOODED man barged into a house brandishing a fake gun, robbed three teenagers and pistol-whipped one of the victims.

Bernard Currie, aged 18, was locked up for four years for stealing mobile phones and cash from the teenagers at a house in Sheffield city centre.

His accomplice, Lewis Kolade, 17, who had cased the house before the attack under the pretext of borrowing cigarettes, was locked up for 12 months.

Sentencing them at Sheffield Crown Court, Judge Trevor Barber said: “You had with you an imitation firearm. The people you robbed had no idea it wasn’t real and you used it to hit one of them over the head.

“It must have been a terrifying experience for them.

“Having decided to obtain a gold chain that was present in the flat, you stole mobile phones and cash. These are very serious offences.”

Richard Thyne, prosecuting, said Luke Christie was at his home on Shoreham Street at around 10pm on May 4 when Kolade rang at the door asking for cigarettes.

Some time later the doorbell went again and he answered it to find a man in a hood wielding a black handgun which he held to Mr Christie’s chin.

He ordered Christie and three 15-year-old friends to lie down on the floor while he searched them.

He stole two mobile phones and £15 in cash and struck one of the male victims on the back of the head with the gun.

Mr Thyne said the purpose of the robbery was to steal a gold chain Kolade had seen one of the victims wearing during his earlier visit.

But when he failed to find the chain, he fled.

Currie, of Maxwell Street, Pitsmoor, was jailed for four years after he admitted three counts of robbery, one of attempted robbery and one of possessing an imitation firearm.

Kolade, of Foxhill Drive, Foxhill, admitted one charge of conspiracy to rob and was given a 12-month detention and training order.

The court heard Kolade was immature and had been easily influenced by the older man. He had no previous convictions.

Just two months before the attack, Currie had been released after serving an 18-month detention and training order.