Former Sheffield rugby league star died from accidental painkiller overdose

A former Doncaster and Sheffield rugby league star died from an accidental overdose of painkillers, an inquest has heard.

Tuesday, 12th January 2021, 12:55 pm

Jordan Cox, who played for both Sheffield Eagles and Doncaster Rugby League Club during his career, was found dead at his home in April last year.

Now an inquest into his death at the age of 27 has revealed that he died from taking too many pills used to treat chronic pain.

After his shock death last year, his previous clubs and fellow players paid tribute.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Rugby league star Jordan Cox.

Jordan, who also played for Hull KR, Warrington and York during his career, died at his home in Hull on April 30.

Tributes in the wake of the death, included one from Hull KR owner Neil Hudgell, who said: “Jordan's passing has come as a terrible shock to us all at the club. I last saw him at a reserves game and exchanged a few jokey one liners with him.

“Jordan always seemed so full of life and spirit and his loss is so sad. I'd like to express my sincere condolences to his mum, girlfriend and family at this awful time.”

Doncaster Rugby League Football Club, where Jordan last played, posted on Twitter: “Everyone at the Dons and the wider @Club_Doncaster family was deeply saddened to hear the news about Jordan. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.”

Former club Sheffield Eagles said: “Sheffield Eagles are saddened to learn of the death of former player Jordan Cox.”

Also posting on Twitter, Wakefield Hawks said: “Everyone at the Hawks are saddened to hear of the sudden death of Jordan Cox.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with Jordan's family, friends and teammates at this tragic time. RIP Jordan - fly high.”

The inquest at Hull Coroner’s Court last week ruled that Jordan died at his home in Patrington Garth due to drug poisoning, with assistant coroner Ian Sprakes recording a conclusion of drug-related death.

The court heard that Mr Cox had become addicted to the painkilling drugs to ease the pain of sporting injuries.

Assistant coroner Mr Sprakes said: 'It is clear to me Jordan had taken his pain relief medication to such an extent that his body simply couldn't tolerate it, which consequently led to his death.”