Footage of teenage Hillsborough victim lying unattended ‘like kick in the teeth’ - mother

James Aspinall
James Aspinall
Have your say

A mother of a teenage Hillsborough victim has said watching footage of her son lying on the pitch unattended for several minutes with a jacket over his head was ‘like a kick in the teeth’.

Margaret Aspinall, chairwoman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, spoke out after evidence was given to the new inquests about the death of her 18-year-old son James.

Margaret Aspinall

Margaret Aspinall

A police officer told the inquests into the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans in 1989 that he had placed his tunic over 18-year-old James Aspinall ‘out of respect’ because he thought he was dead.

Footage played to the jury showed the teenager on the pitch unattended as people stepped over him before fans rushed over and lifted him on to an advertising hoarding and carried him away.

Mr Aspinall was pronounced dead at 3.54pm in the temporary mortuary of the Sheffield Wednesday’s gymnasium by a doctor who was at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

But he was not formally identified by his father, James Aspinall Sr - who watched the match from a different part of the ground - until the following day.

The court was told Mr Aspinall Senior had initially heard that all passengers on the bus that his son travelled to the game on had been accounted for.

He checked though with hospitals in Sheffield whether James had been admitted but his name was not on any lists.

Reading his statement, Christina Lambert QC, counsel for the inquests, said: “They decided to drive back to Liverpool thinking and hoping that James may be on the bus. On their arrival home they went to the bus station with James’s mother Margaret and waited for all the buses to arrive. The last bus arrived but James was not on it.”

Speaking after the hearing, Mrs Aspinall said: “I have not dealt with today very well. Today, to me, I felt for the first time that I had not felt for a long time that this was about James.

“I felt in the past how I have I dealt with it is to put James to one side and help with other families. But today I knew for the first time in 26 years I definitely had to concentrate on my own son and it was like a kick in the teeth.

“When you see your son lying on a pitch with a coat over him for about three or four minutes and nobody done anything to help him - we still don’t know whether he was alive or dead. I have got to live with for the rest of my life.

“But it’s just a relief to get James’s inquest over because it has been a hard, hard journey. The best way I can describe it is like climbing a mountain but I still have not reached the peak. And the peak is hopefully yet to come and maybe we will have peace. I want closure on Hillsborough and the only way we can get closure is by truth and justice, and hopefully we will get that.”