First half run-out for Keiren Westwood as Sheffield Wednesday's Under-23s draw 2-2 at Crewe Alexandra

Goalkeeper Keiren Westwood was a surprise starter as Sheffield Wednesday's Under-23s were held to a 2-2 draw at Crewe Alexandra.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 10th December 2018, 4:07 pm
Updated Monday, 10th December 2018, 4:10 pm
Goalkeeper Keiren Westwood has not played for Sheffield Wednesday this season
Goalkeeper Keiren Westwood has not played for Sheffield Wednesday this season

Republic of Ireland international Westwood played the first half of the second-string clash. He was replaced at half-time by Dan Wallis.

Neil Thompson, the U23s boss, told The Star: "It was Westy's first game for a while and he negotiated it absolutely fine. He was very comfortable.'

Sign up to our daily newsletter

It was Westwood's first outing for the Owls' development squad this term.

He tweeted: 'Delighted to get the gloves and boots on for 45 mins today. Last time played at Crewe training ground I was 17 for Man City U17s. Pitch was just as bad then as it is now.'

Westwood, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has never played a senior match under Wednesday boss Jos Luhukay, with Luhukay putting his confidence and trust in Cameron Dawson.

Shot-stopper Westwood and defensive midfielder Sam Hutchinson have been forced to train with the U23s in recent weeks, having been deemed surplus to requirements. Some Wednesdayites chanted for Westwood and Hutchinson to be recalled following Wednesday's 4-0 thumping to Norwich City last month.

Defender Joost van Aken, fit-again following an ankle problem, and out-of-favour midfielder George Boyd completed the full 90 minutes.

"The senior boys and other lads showed good application,' added Thompson.

The Owls established a two-goal lead thanks to a first half penalty from Boyd and a 72nd minute strike from Ben Hughes.

But Thompson's side were pegged back in added on time with Lewis Reilly reducing the arrears before goalkeeper Dave Richards scored a dramatic equaliser.

Thompson said: 'It's a disappointing result.

"The pitch was horrific. It was touch and go whether it was going to get called off. It was a bit of a bog so it was not a pretty game.

"I thought we looked in control in the 90 minutes. They threw caution to the wind in the last couple of minutes. 

"Somehow we got six minutes of injury time '“ I don't know where from - and we conceded two goals from two corner situations. I don't think I have ever been involved in a game where a goalkeeper has scored

'That was really disappointing for the lads as we did more than enough to win the game but that's football.

"It probably didn't reflect the game as a whole but you've got to see it out and we didn't manage it very well towards the end.'