Fireplace shop blaze drama

The car was destroyed by fire.
The car was destroyed by fire.
Share this article
Have your say

A CUSTOMER who called at a Sheffield showroom to buy a new fireplace ended up hot under the collar instead when their car went up in flames in the car park outside.

The customer was browsing the Bramdale Fireplaces showroom on Chesterfield Road, Woodseats, when a passer-by walked in to the shop to say they had spotted smoke seeping out from under a car bonnet outside.

Despite the efforts of the showroom manager, who used a fire extinguisher to try to douse the flames, the fire took hold quickly and engulfed the front of the vehicle before firefighters arrived.

Martin Hooton, who works in the showroom, said: “A customer called into our showroom to purchase a fire and, unfortunately, got a bit more than they bargained for.

“A passer-by came in to warn us smoke was coming from under the bonnet of a car in the car park. The fire managed to completely demolish the front of the vehicle before the fire brigade arrived, but luckily no-one was injured.”