Firefighters carry carbon monoxide alarms

Have your say

Firefighters in South Yorkshire now use special carbon monoxide detection alarms during home visits.

The alarms are carried by staff carrying out home safety checks to help them avoid inhaling poisonous fumes.

They also alert members of the public to hazards in their homes.

Kevin Ronan, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue’s head of community safety, said: “The primary focus of our home safety checks is to educate people about fire safety, but by carrying these alarms we can a help to protect the public and our own staff from the additional hazard of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Where carbon monoxide is detected, a referral is made to a relevant agency so action can be taken to quickly correct the problem.”

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by burning carbon-based fuels, including gas.